The simple answer is “yes,” but let’s take a moment to explain why gutter companies think that is the case.
Benefits of a Gutter System
- They keep excess water away from your foundation, which prevents cracking and flooding.
- They protect your siding by preventing erosion.
- They reduce the amount of moisture in your home that can cause both mold and mildew growth.
- They direct water away from your home, which prevents freezing in the winter.
With all these benefits, you might wonder why every house doesn’t have gutters, whether or not it has a metal roof.
Challenges of Installing Gutters with a Metal Roof
The reason many homeowners with metal roofs forgo gutters is that they are difficult to install properly. You have to attach the gutter system to the fascia board with brackets or spikes and ferrules to ensure that the gutters will not damage your roof or siding. Here are some common problems caused by improperly installed gutters:
- The gutter system can collapse if it is not attached securely to the house or if it is in the wrong position.
- Water can overshoot the gutters if they are not mounted high enough. Installing gutter guards can also help keep water from overshooting the gutters.
- Ice and snow can damage the roof or the gutters, or both. Ice and snow falling off the roof can rip the gutter system clean off if it is insecurely mounted or mounted in the wrong place.